Monday 21 September 2009

LIBRARY SYSTEM - SAMPLE DATABASE Part 1

Before anything, I would just like to share my frustration at not being given a definite date for assessment by TESDA. Sobra! How hard could it be to schedule an assessment? I mean, we have an assessment center here in our place mismo kaso they told me I should go to TESDA for scheduling. So I did. They told me "inuuna muna namin yung mga PGS." So paano na yan? Hay!!!

Enough with the rant; as promised, I'm gonna describe my sample practice database. I named my database as libsys.mdb (MS Access). It currently has 5 tables namely: books, members, accounts, reservations, and transactions.

The BOOKS Table
It has 6 fields namely book_id(autoNumber), book_title(Text), book_author(Text), book_desc(Memo), book_isbn(Text), quantity(Integer), and books_left(Integer). All the fields are self-explanatory except maybe the books_left. I use that to designated how many books are left that's available for borrowing. Ex. quantity is 5, books_left is 2, so that means 3 books are either rented or reserved, and there are 2 more available. Primary key is book_id.

The MEMBERS Table
The fields are mem_id(AutoNumber), mem_name(Text), mem_addr(Text), mem_contact(Text), and mem_role(Text). Again they are self-explanatory. mem_role value is either "admin" or "member". Primary key is mem_id.

The ACCOUNTS Table
The fields are mem_id(Integer), mem_username(Text), and mem_password(Text). No primary key here. Take note that the mem_id should correspond to the mem_id on the MEMBERS table.

Next post will be the 2 remaining tables. Please remember, this is NOT THE ACTUAL DATABASE FOR THE NC4 PROGRAMMING EXAM. It's just my test data for my own practice sessions.

Also, this should really be stressed: YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY PASS THE EXAM IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO CONNECT TO DATABASES AND ACCESS THEIR TABLES. Please practice how these operations are performed. I've given some links on the previous post for tutorials on how to set these up. Later...

2 comments:

  1. why leave freelance writing?

    thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. no prob, and thanks back at ya.

    I used to specialize in web contents, writing articles for various websites at $7 to $10 an hour. Then guys from India flooded the market with their ridiculously low rates. They were asking for $2 or less for 500-700 word articles. Went downhill from there :)

    ReplyDelete